Saturday, November 02, 2013

Dave Zeltzserman's response to some of the responses from his last post here


Hi Ed, I had a most interesting experience, to say the east, after I published my piece over at the Kindleboards. You can read the messages on this message thread:


The moderator took down some of the more surly and personal attack messages. One very unstable  woman went berserk over the following that I wrote:

"what I meant by "real readers" are readers who buy my books with the expectation of reading them as opposed to hoarding them. There's a much better chance that readers who buy my print books will actually read them then those downloading a free promotion or even buying the book as the result of a Bookbub ad or the (past) aftereffects of a KDP free promotion. I'm guilty of that--I have 100s of books on my kindle, and I'll probably only ever read 20% of them. Anecdotally, I hear the same when I talk with people with kindles, and have had people leave messages on my FB posts regarding free giveaways to the effect thatthey grabbed it, but already have so many kindle books they don't know
if they'll ever get to it. And when you have Stephen Colbert joke about how a kindle is a great device for storing 1000s of books that he'll never read, and the audience laughs at it, you know this phenomenon is real."

She ended her rant with how I reminded her of her ex. I was going to respond with a simple "My congratulations to your ex" but the moderator had already pulled her reply.

Best,
Dave

2 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

Ha. Had an angry student once who berated me for reminding me of her ex. That's one of those lose-lose situations...

Brian Drake said...

I remind my mother of my father, her ex husband, so you can imagine how much fun I have sometimes.